Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Intergenerational Recreation Ministry

When it comes to getting active with the older people in our churches, let's just face it, some of us get grossed out at the thought.  Seeing them out of their natural environment of eating peppermints and watching Matlock it's just real hard to see how teens or even young adults could get along and possibly even develop some friendships with the older ones in our church.  But the hard facts are everyone benefits when it comes to mixing all the generations at church together for some clean, fun Christian recreational activities.  The main idea behind doing activities as a body of believers is, of course, about the community it builds.  But that is just the foundation that supports many great things to come.  Once that ice gets melted away and the uncomfortable cold waters are warmed relationshps are developed.  I am not sure about most of you, but I have at least 3 old ladies and 2 old men at my home church that I have to either hug, shake hands, or kiss when I go home.  Those people are always making sure that I'm doing ok and they always let me know that they have been praying for me.  I think that is what intergenerational recreations are all about.  I mean I never did go golfing or canoeing with them but it was at church events that I got to know these individuals on a deeper level that led to me thinking of them as a second or fourth grandma.  And we all know we could use more grandmas in our lives.  I guess my question for is what boundaries do you see coming down because of intergenerational recreaction?  And is there any older person out there that has invested in you?

6 comments:

  1. One boundry that can come down as a result of intergenerational recreation is the assumptions that each generation makes about each other.

    For me many of those who have invested in me are just now entering into thier, at the lateset, 50's and many are only in their 30's so they really arent like grandparents to me but are more like friends that I can ask deep questions to or ask for help with problems I am going through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I see coming out of intergenerational recreation is trust within generations. So often the younger generation does not want to listen to and sometimes not even respect the older one. And often times the older generation expects this from the younger (often times unfairly). Through recreation and interaction, different ages can make connections and brake down that boundries of mistrust.

    I, unfortunately, do not really have any older folks outside my family that have invested in me very much. Honestly I do not think our church invests enough in intergenerational things. However I definitely have had many middle-ish age adults invest in me from the church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that we really do need more inter- generational events happening within our church. I have learned a lot from the elders in my church and, though I do not have real grandparents anymore there are a few people at church that make me feel like their grandchild.

    I really liked what Tyler said about how recreation and interaction can help to break down the issues people have with trusting each other, especially the younger with the older. I agree that young people have trust issues a lot of the time... it sort of comes with being a adolescent, but I agree that if we somehow couple the youth with an adult the bonds and friendships will grow immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe the outcome of intergenerational recreation could be a barrier of misunderstood values and ideals could come down if both generations would start to become a part of each rather than living in two seperate worlds. I would hope that the senior adults would take note and be accepting of the change in the younger kids, but the younger generation would have to respect the older folks as well. This could be done through many things like a camping trip or something of the sort. As for the question about an elder being in my life, I've had quite a few at my church come up to me and give me a hug telling me how proud they are of how I've grown and what I'm doing, and let me tell, there is nothing better than a warm, welcoming encouragement from an elder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that a boundary that can be created is that all the assumptions that are made by each generation and the unwillingness to accept differences. I have had several older people invest in me throughout my life. Even just a hug and a how are you doing can really help. I think everyone needs to invest in a younger and older person. The experience will enrich the lives of everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The way that our generation does things is different than previous generations and all generations react and respond to their parents generations and so on. We have a lot to learn from older generations, I think something that can block us from connecting is the thinking that "they are wrong, they don't do church right." I think recreation can be a great way to break down the barriers and for everyone to see that we are all people. Things that both younger and older generations can do and enjoy would be great (fishing, hiking, shuffleboard, golf, camping).

    ReplyDelete